Recently, Netflix has ceased to be the leader in streaming on demand, with companies such as Amazon Prime Video, HBO, Disney +, YouTube TV and many more emerging, offering similar or better services than Netflix.
For this or another reason, many people have decided to cancel their Netflix subscription or delete their account from that platform.
Canceling your Netflix subscription is relatively simple, but you should know that your subscription contract established that your data will remain on Netflix for 10 months until it is permanently deleted (this is in case you want to return to the service).
As of today, there is no method to delete your data instantly when canceling your subscription, if you contact the support directly from the “Help Center”, it is possible that the customer service will speed up the definitive cancellation of the Netflix account .
Cancel a Netflix subscription
Netflix allows its users to cancel their plans at any time, and even if the expiration date of your plan has not yet arrived and you decide to cancel it sooner, you can continue using your subscription until you reach the final expiration date. Here are the steps to unsubscribe:
- Enter the link: https://netflix.com/CancelPlan
- to initiate unsubscription .
- Press the blue button ” Finish cancellation
- Your account will not be renewed after your current subscription expires.
- Another method to unsubscribe from the Netflix plan, just as simple, is to go to account and click on ” Cancel membership ” to cancel the plan.
Delete a Netflix account permanently
Once your Netflix subscription plan is canceled , you must wait at least 10 months for the system to permanently delete your account. To expedite the process of completely deleting your account, you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org and tell them to delete all your data upon receipt of the message. Said message, to request the definitive withdrawal of the account, could be something like the following example:
- Subject of the message : «Delete account permanently when receiving this email»
- Recipient of the message : « email@example.com »
- Message content :
Hello, my full name is XXXXX XXXXX XXXXXX and my email is XXXX@XXXXX.com. I request the deletion of my Netflix account, including my playing history and data linked to my account. I am aware that I will lose my favorites, my history, my user profiles and other information related to my account.
This step is also valid if you want to delete a Netflix account that you have not been able to activate , that is, for which you have not been able to pay a subscription / plan.
Delete profile within a Netflix account
In case you want to keep your Netflix subscription and account, but want to delete a user profile (very useful if you share the account with other people), this guide is for you. Here are the steps to delete a profile from your account:
When the profile is deleted, the playing history, favorites, ratings, and all activity on that profile will be deleted. Remember that you will not be able to go back once this action has been performed , everything will be lost and even if you contact Netflix support for help, they will tell you that the information has been permanently deleted.
You may interested in:
Reasons to delete a Netflix account
Deleting a Netflix account is something normal, many users do it, and they all have their reasons, but if you still can’t make up your mind, we have put together a list of the most common reasons why Netflix users request to cancel their accounts and delete their data . Here are some common reasons for canceling an account:
- Low catalog : it is likely that what Netflix offers does not appeal to you, or that you may like series like Game of Thrones (HBO exclusive) more or you simply cannot find interesting movies or series to watch.
- Price of the plans : Netflix raises its prices at least twice a year, in part due to the costs of producing new series and expanding its exclusive catalog, so even the “Basic” plan often runs out of budget or it’s not worth it.
- Do not use it : many users delete their accounts because they do not have enough time to watch the series or movies that Netflix offers.
- Slow connection : Netflix requires a high-speed connection, and if this is not your case, it is likely that your experience within the platform is not good and you want to cancel your subscription, it is logical!, But also, many users have reported that their connection providers slow them down when they detect that they consume Netflix videos, unfortunate, but it happens!
- Alternatives : the competition is fiercer every day, there are many streaming services, such as Amazon Prime Video, HBO, Disney +, Hulu, Movistar +, Rakuten, Sky, among others. In the end, users are looking for the best catalog and it may not be on Netflix.