If you’ve made the decision to part ways with Instagram, permanently deleting your account is the most effective solution. However, it’s important to keep in mind that this action cannot be undone, as any photos, videos, followers, and comments associated with your account will be erased entirely. Therefore, make sure to download any data you’d like to keep before deleting the account.
The process to permanently delete your Instagram account is straightforward, and it can be accomplished on both desktop and mobile devices. First, log in to your Instagram account on a web browser. Click on the link to the Delete Your Account page.
Instagram will prompt you to choose a reason for deleting your account from a dropdown list. After you’ve made your selection, re-enter your password to verify the deletion request. Click on “Permanently delete my account,” and you’re done! All of your Instagram photos, videos, and comments will disappear without a trace.
Why Delete an Instagram Account?
Are you considering deleting your Instagram account but still unsure whether it’s the right move? Here are a few reasons why you might want to take that step:
- Privacy concerns: If you’re worried about how your personal data is being used and sold by Instagram, deleting your account is the ultimate solution. Since Instagram is owned by Facebook, many users are concerned about the amount of data that’s being shared between these two platforms. Deleting your Instagram account can minimize your online footprint and give you greater control over your online privacy.
- Addiction: Instagram is designed to be addictive, with its infinite scrolling feature, push notifications, and personalized content. If you find yourself spending too much time on the app and it’s starting to affect your productivity or mental health, it might be time to cut the cord.
- Negative impact on self-esteem: Instagram can be a breeding ground for self-comparison and insecurity, especially when users start to focus on likes and follower counts. If you find yourself constantly comparing your life to others on the app, deleting your account can be a positive step towards improving your mental health.
- Distraction: If you’re trying to focus on your work or personal goals, Instagram can often be a major distraction. Breaking the habit of scrolling through your feed can help you channel your energy towards more fulfilling activities.
Ultimately, the decision to delete your Instagram account is a personal one, and it’s up to you to decide whether the benefits of having an active account outweigh the drawbacks. However, if you do decide to take the plunge, keep reading for step-by-step instructions on how to permanently delete your account.
Backup Your Instagram Data
If you’ve decided to permanently delete your Instagram account, it’s crucial to backup all your data before you do so. This includes all your photos, videos, and other personal information that you have shared on Instagram. Here’s how you can download and backup all your Instagram data:
- Open Instagram on your desktop or mobile device.
- Click on your profile and go to the Settings menu.
- Click on ‘Security’ and then select ‘Download Data’.
- Enter your email address where you’d like to receive a link to download your data.
- Enter your Instagram password, and then click on ‘Request Download’.
You’ll receive an email within 48 hours that contains a link to download your Instagram data. The link will expire after 4 days, so be sure to download it as soon as possible.
Once downloaded, you’ll have a copy of all your Instagram photos, videos, and other data on your computer. It’s important to store this data in a secure and safe place to prevent it from getting lost or stolen.
By backing up your Instagram data, you can continue to enjoy your memories long after your Instagram account has been deleted. It’s always a good practice to backup your data regularly, even if you’re not planning to delete your account anytime soon.
Steps to Permanently Delete Instagram Account
If you’ve decided to permanently delete your Instagram account, follow these detailed step-by-step instructions to do so from both desktop and mobile.
Step 1: Open your preferred web browser and log in to your Instagram account on instagram.com.
Step 2: Head to your Profile by clicking on your profile photo at the top right corner of the screen.
Step 3: Click on the gear icon, located next to the “Edit Profile” option.
Step 4: Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “Temporarily disable my account” located in the bottom right corner of the page.
Step 5: Select your reason for deleting your account from the drop-down menu and enter your password in the required field.
Step 6: Click on the “Permanently Delete my Account” button located at the bottom of the page. Your account will then be deleted permanently.
Step 1: Open the Instagram app on your mobile device and log in to your account.
Step 2: Tap on the three horizontal bars located at the top right corner of the screen.
Step 3: Tap on “Settings” at the bottom of the screen and select “Help”.
Step 4: Tap on “Help Center” and select “Managing Your Account”.
Step 5: Select “Delete Your Account” and click on “How do I delete my account.”
Step 6: You will be directed to a page with “Delete Your Account” at the top. Select this option to proceed.
Step 7: Choose your reason for deleting your account from the drop-down menu and enter your password in the required field.
Step 8: Tap on the “Permanently Delete My Account” button located at the bottom of the page. Your account will then be deleted permanently.
Keep in mind that once you delete your Instagram account, you cannot recover it and your data, such as photos, videos, comments, and followers, will be lost permanently.
What Happens When You Delete Your Account?
Permanently deleting your Instagram account means that all your data will be erased from the platform, including photos, captions, comments, likes, and followers. You will no longer be able to access the account or any of its content.
However, it’s worth noting that it may take up to 90 days to completely delete all the data associated with your account from Instagram’s servers. During this time, your account and data will not be visible to others on the platform, but it may still be technically recoverable.
If you have any photos or videos that you want to save before deleting your account, make sure to download them beforehand. You can easily do this by following the steps outlined in the “Backup Your Instagram Data ” section of this article.
Moreover, any third-party apps that are linked to your Instagram account, such as Facebook or Twitter, will no longer be able to access your account after deletion.
Finally, keep in mind that deleting your Instagram account is a permanent decision. Once you’ve done it, there’s no turning back. If you want to use Instagram again in the future, you’ll need to create a new account and start from scratch.
Can You Recover Your Deleted Instagram Account?
So, you’ve deleted your Instagram account, but now you’re having second thoughts and want it back. Is it possible to recover a deleted Instagram account? The short answer is no, once you delete your Instagram account, it’s gone forever and can’t be recovered.
Instagram does not have a feature to recover deleted accounts. However, if you just deactivated your account, you can always reactivate it by logging in with your credentials. Keep in mind that deactivating your account temporarily disables your profile and hides your content and followers, but it doesn’t delete any of your photos or videos.
On the other hand, permanently deleting your account will delete all of your photos, videos, followers, and account data. There is no way to recover this data once your account has been deleted. If you want to download and save your data before deleting your account, refer to the “Backup Your Instagram Data” section of this article to learn how to download and backup all your Instagram data.
If you are experiencing any issues with your Instagram account, such as access or hacking, you can always contact Instagram’s customer support team for assistance. They will be able to help you with any issues related to your account, but they will not be able to recover a deleted account.
It’s important to think twice before permanently deleting your Instagram account, as there is no way to undo it. Consider taking a break from the platform or deactivating your account temporarily instead. You can always come back at any time by simply logging in with your credentials.
Remember, your Instagram account is a digital footprint and something you have worked hard to build. It’s important to take a break or delete your account only when you know it’s the right decision for you. If you do decide to permanently delete your account, be sure to backup your data beforehand to avoid losing any important memories.
Some Alternatives to Deleting Instagram
If you’re not ready to say goodbye to Instagram just yet, here are some alternatives to deleting your account:
1. Deactivating Your Account: This option allows you to take a break from Instagram without permanently deleting your account. When you deactivate your account, your profile and photos will no longer be visible to other users, but they will be saved on Instagram’s servers. You can reactivate your account at any time by simply logging back in.
2. Temporarily Disabling Your Account: This option is similar to deactivating your account, but it has some additional benefits. When you disable your account, your profile, photos, comments, and likes will be hidden from everyone on Instagram. However, you’ll still be able to access your account, and your followers won’t be lost. This option is great for users who think they might want to return to Instagram in the future.
3. Changing Your Privacy Settings: If you’re concerned about your privacy on Instagram, you can adjust your account’s privacy settings to limit who can see your photos and videos. You can make your account private, which means that only approved followers can see your content. You can also choose to hide your story from certain users or block individual users from interacting with your account.
4. Taking a Break from Instagram: If you find yourself spending too much time on Instagram, it might be time to take a break. You can simply log out of your account and uninstall the app from your phone. This will give you a break from the constant notifications and updates and help you regain control over your time.
5. Using Instagram in a More Positive Way: Finally, you can try to use Instagram in a more positive way. Instead of focusing on the negative aspects of the app, try to find ways to use it that make you happy. Follow accounts that inspire you, share photos that make you proud, and comment on posts that make you smile.
Remember, there are alternatives to permanently deleting your Instagram account. Consider your options carefully before making a final decision.